Muesli Bar Recipe
Packed full of nuts, dried fruit and oats, this Muesli bar is a great standby for the kids to have in their lunch box, when visitors drop by, or just a general snack. We have never made it with the icing so can’t vouch for that, but the actual muesli bar is great!
1 cup wholemeal flour
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups sultanas
1/2 cup wheatgerm
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup liquid honey
200 grams buttter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup icing sugar, sifted
2 tblsp butter, melted
grated rind one lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degress Celsius. Grease and line a 20cm x 30cm slice tin.
2. In a bowl mix together the wholemeal flour, rolled oats, sultanas, wheatgerm and sunflower seeds. Make a well in the centre.
3. In a small saucepan heat the honey, butter, brown sugar and vanilla essence, only until the butter has melted. Do not allow the mixture to come to the boil or become too hot. Pour the liquid ingredients into the bowl and mix together.
4. Spread into the prepared tin and smooth out with a spatula.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until golden and firm to the touch. Mark into bars with a very sharp knife while warm. Ice and complete the cutting when cold.
1. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Stir in the lemon rind, melted butter and sufficient hot water to make an icing of spreadable consistency. Use to decorate the muesli bars with.